- Hide menu
A talk on how UXO affects farming and food in Laos, featuring Lao food made by Karen. An event with Slow Food ABQ at the Albuquerque Center for Peace & Justice, 202 Harvard SE, 6:30 – 8 pm. It’s a free event (with food!) but do RSVP so we know how much jaew to make. We hope to see you there!
TV and radio interview with Amy Goodman on Democracy Now about the 50th anniversary of the start of the bombing campaign in Laos.
Book reading & presentation, 3 pm
Laos book launch at the COPE Visitor Center in Vientiane! Dozens of visitors attended the slideshow presentation and discussion, with proceeds of book sales going to COPE.
The Schuster Institute for Investigative Journalism launches an Investigations Page on our work and UXO in Laos.
Eternal Harvest is on the short list for the Eric Hoffer Montaigne Medal, for books by independent publishers.
Eternal Harvest is a finalist for the Investigative Reporters and Editors Book of the Year award (also known as the IRE Awards). Whoo hoo!
Interview, photos and video of work from Eternal Harvest on Mother Jones.
Santa Fe Radio Cafe interview with Mary-Charlotte Domandi on Eternal Harvest and reporting in Asia.
UXO presentation, 2-4:30 pm
University of New Mexico, International Studies
Eat This Podcast interview with Jeremy Cherfas about food, farming and bombs in Laos.
Tuesday – November 12, 2013 – 5:45 PM
Valley Center for the Performing Arts
3500 Mountain Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94619
FREE and open to the public
5:45-7:00 Book Talk / Audience Q&A
7:00-7:45 Reception and Book Signing
Cosponsored by Brandeis University Schuster Institute for Investigative Journalism, Holy Names University Asia Pacific Peace Studies Institute, and St. Mary’s College of California History Department and International Area Studies Program.
– Amy Goodman of Democracy Now interviews us about the 50th anniversary of the start of the bombing campaign in Laos.
– Review of Eternal Harvest in the South China Morning Post.
– Interview with Terry Ambrose on the danger of backcountry travel in Laos.
– Interview with Deborah Kalb about how we worked on the book.
… and another take on the same interview at Haunting Legacy, Kalb’s site devoted to reporting on Vietnam and the American Presidency.
– Review of Eternal Harvest in Publishers Weekly.
– A nice piece in Columbia Journalism Review in their series How I Got That Story talking about – wait for it – how we got the story.
– A Q&A with Jerry at the Boulder Stand, talking about reporting on UXO in Laos and the state of photojournalism in general.
– An award for Outstanding Photography from the Society of Environmental Journalists for photos from the story “The Flavor of Danger” in Gastronomica magazine.
– The article Life After Wartime in Sierra magazine.
– The article Plain of Jars in Archaeology magazine.
– The article Kitchen Bombs in Sabor, the iPad food magazine.
– The article Old Bombs Shatter Laotian Women’s Lives in Women’s eNews.
– The article One Man’s Bomb is Another’s Garden Hoe in GlobalPost.